Friday, May 4, 2007

Modern Gnosticism as a Way, a Philosophy - Not a Religion

Buddhism is a Religion. Pedantic morons say that Buddhism is more properly classified as a Philosophy, because they don't believe in a God (well the vast majority of Buddhist sects don't anyway). Buddhism is a freaking Religion, Man! They believe in Stuff! Reincarnation, Karma, Nirvana. Buddha's rememberance of all his past lives under the Bodhi tree, etc.

Modern Gnosticism is not a Religion is a Way. For instance, I am not a Gnostic. I "do" Gnosticism. Heheheh, I drop a tab of Gnostic text every now and then. I read some Gnostic texts and they give me the delightful *sparks* of insight. But Gnostic text-reading and musing and ruminating and overall enjoyment is not a religion. It's reverence for incredibly ancient texts that are still extremely applicable to our lives today, and it is mystery and wonder - what Truths lay in these texts? Point is, was Mulder's search for Truth in the X-Files a Religion for him?

Gnosticism is best enjoyed as one aspect of a much broader exploration of the Occult, of the Paranormal, of Psychological Self-Conquest/Self-Overcoming. Gnostic Outlook also can very easily be used as a way of describing the situation so many of us westerners, especially the young (I myself too at 25) find ourselves in, in this godawful world of misery and political corruption and ignorance and control and genocide.

Buddhism, as I said, is a Religion. But it's also a Way. the Gnostic Way kicks it's ass >:) There's Archons everywhere, man! There isnt Just Archons inside you like Guamata said. There's Archons OUT THERE

The Way of the Gnostic. Ah, now there is where I find my reconciliation with those who call themselves Gnostics. They aren't calling themselves the adherents of a Religion, even if they say they are. You, my Brothers and Sisters, we are practitioners of a Way. But some of us more adept and open-eyed than others. Where you see no Archon, I see one, vice versa.

The Gnostic Way

3 comments:

Reverend Father Scott Rassbach said...

Religion is a Way.

In fact, Christianity's original name was "the Way". A few still call it that.

Religion is often a set of beliefs, true, but it is also a set of practices. Those practices help to make it a 'way'.

So, when you walk 'the Gnostic way', you walk in a Gnostic Religion.

Matrljani said...

Reverend Rassbach, pleased to see you :)

I never knew that before, that it was originally called "The Way" - that is most intrigueing...

Oh, by the way, the gratuitous anti-Mod comments I have made in this Blog were never directed at you. It was Other peeps - I shan't name names.

Basically, this is my first Blog and I'm looking to network with other similar Blogs etc of similar tone/outlook.

As I said, I encourage you to comment, negative positive or otherwise.

Heheheh I feel kinda like John Lash did when he said when he set up the metahistory website that it was like he was preparing a great party nobody was going to turn up to.

Now, of course this aint no metahistory and I aint no Lash, its a Blog among countless thousands of "Gnostic Blogs". I know theres no way in hell it will be linked to most of them because I could say anything! >:)

Matrljani said...

Oh by the way, what do you reckon about posting Gnostic quotes in Matrix Green on a Black background? Does it fly?

You can be honest lol